March 6, 2010

new tote

I went back to work full-time this week, and missed little Oscar so much! But I'm so thankful for two wonderful grandmas who are taking turns taking care of him during the day. I'm pumping breastmilk for Oscar while at work and have to carry the pump and milk storage bottles back and forth everyday. So the Sunday before I went back I finally pulled out the sewing machine and sewed up a tote bag while Oscar slept. I was glad to finally use some brown duck cloth I had in my stash -- the natural stiffness is perfect for bags. I eyeballed the measurements, but the size turned out to be perfect for all the pumping supplies and also lunch and snacks for work.





With Oscar and working, I'm bummed that I'll have even less time than before for crafting and keeping up the shop.. but I'm hopeful that I'll get snippets of time here and there!

14 comments:

Bagladee said...

Oooh its lovely, a nice generous size for getting all those bits and bobs in. x

kayla said...

I love it! I, too, carry my pump to work everyday, but just in the black bag it came with. A few people have commented on the bag (I think it's nothing special!) and asked where I got it. And I have to reply, "It's my breast pump." At least when people compliment you, you can say, "I made it!"

cleen said...

i love it! if only i had the skill and talent when i realize that i need a tote, or a sweater, or a pouch, or some pants and are able to whip out a sewing machine and make it appear out of thin air. only wendy.....

casey said...

ok, we have the same taste in fabric! i have tons of the orange squiggly fabric you have inside your tote. i love it! i made a boppy out of it too...

insaknitty said...

seriously, so impressive! :)

word verification: cleric (a real word!!)

Jacqui Dodds said...

You must really miss Oscar when at work. This tote is great - could you post a tutorial on how to make it? If not that's ok - you may not want to share :)

anita said...

nice wendy! =)
i am impressed you managed to still find time to make something, but it must feel nice have that creating time. =)
and please tell oscar to not grow up too fast before i get to meet him =)

sweet fine day/Jenna said...

very nice! And time flies...can't believe you're already back at work but you are so lucky to have family nearby. Good luck, and hope your transition back to work continues to go smooth.

Rita said...

i love your sewing goodies! i'm going to attempt to sew some bags too...hopefully they don't turn out crappy =P

AMM blog said...

I bought the fabric from Etsy here http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=41098574. I want some of their masking tape next!

Wendy said...

Jacqi - I'll see what I can do! I sew like I cook.. a lot of winging and eyeballing. It'd be fun to put together a tutorial though :)

J - thanks! I've added the shop to my favorites!

osteolala said...

Courageous Mom!
The bag is very nice.
Read you...

Jacqui Dodds said...

Wendy it is not how you sew but the result that counts - it looks really good.

Anonymous said...

I wish I have intelligent hands like yours, and boy, you've sure slimmed down quickly, envious!