January 3, 2009

A time to sew

Happy new year everyone! It's hard to believe it's 2009 already. Time flies, especially when you're on vacation! I'm super bummed that my 2-week shutdown is coming to a close. It's been so nice to sleep in and take my time with everything. This is a bit late - but I wanted to share with you what Irving got me for Christmas - vintage pyrex! I guess I've been pining away at them enough that he knew exactly what would make me happy. I love them, and they'll be especially useful since I've been trying to phase out most of our plastic food containers.

vintage pyrex

While we were in Monterey on Christmas day, Irving actually spotted these pods on the ground and pointed them out to me because he knew I'd like them. I've never seen these before and love their simple shape.

pods

I was hoping to start screenprinting this last week, but had an overwhelming desire to sew instead. So sew I did! This plastic bag dispenser was a quickie - just a tube that's open at the top (for stuffing in bags) and has an elastic opening at the bottom (for pulling out bags). It was nice to finally use some Amy Butler fabric I'd been hoarding for a couple of years!

plastic bag dispenser

About a year an a half ago my little mustard-colored wallet (which I bought in Japan and really liked) was stolen. Since then I've been using a plain old black leather one and have resisted buying a new one because I really wanted to make one. Recently I fell in love with these wallets and decided to use them as a model for mine. I used cruddy fabric to practice making a couple mock-ups since I knew it would take me a few tries before getting it right. I think the only difference is that I also made a pocket behind the coin compartment. The outside fabric is wool I cut out from an old men's blazer found at the local goodwill for $3. Even though it took me the better part of a day, I had so much fun making it.

fabric wallet outside

fabric wallet inside

17 comments:

Mon Petit Lapin said...

Wendy your wallet looks fab! So impressed :)

Laura said...

Happy New Year!
I love your vintage pyrex and your wallet is beautiful, I love the secret little compartments :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, your wallet looks so good! I too have a bunch of Amy Butler fabric (and 2 of her books) that I have yet to use. No wI want aplastic bag holder too!

Anonymous said...

a big happy new year to you! looks like you have been enjoying yourself. yours is cute. i've been meaning to make a plastic bag holder. thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

eeek! cute wallet alert!

Bekka said...

That wallet is fantastic!!!

Wendy said...

thanks everyone!

morgan - yeah, it's hard to cut into amy butler fabric isn't it?

leslie - yes! it's been on my to-sew list forever. hope to see yours soon :)

babalisme said...

Happy New year to you!

I really like your pyrex, and boy aren't you sew a really adorable wallet!

cornelia said...

oooh beautiful wallet!

Little Bohème said...

Waouw I totally LOVE your wallet. Are you going to make some more and put them on etsy?
And Happy 2009!!!

sulu-design said...

Love, love, love the wallet!

Hitomi Kimura said...

Hi! Thank you so much for your comment on my blog, I visited your Etsy shop and liked your style! I also visited your Flickr page and loved your Charlie, too!! I have two French Bulldogs, which have similar look to your dog :)

Hitomi Kimura said...

Oh, Hitomi is of kalla Textile Design, I forgot to mention.

leeashroe said...

i just love the wallet.

Anonymous said...

thanks so much everyone! you guys are too nice :) not sure if i'll make more.. i get bored easily!

KSK said...

wow, you should sell those things on Etsy - I'd buy!

Misty Ericson said...

Some jerk stole my awesome wallet today and I'm crushed. I feel a little better now, though, so inspired by your creation to make something cool and new. Many thanks for that!